Why is it important to purge your Closet every season? The short answer to avoid stress and anxiety!!
We recently did a Closet Clean out with a new client that had been holding on to clothing and shoes from from the past 25 years. When we asked her why? She replied, "because many pieces remind me of a certain time in my life or a specific vacation when I bought it!" This is a very common occurrence and to even think about parting with items that hold memories is a very stressful situation for many.
Here are some tips to remember:
- There is nothing wrong with having a box of sentimental items ex ( wedding dress, graduation dress first pair of designer shoes you bought etc ) keep them folded and stored.
- For secondary items that hold memories take a picture of the item or often people already have photographs of themselves wearing the item. It's best to remember it when it fit properly or was in good shape. Let go of the actual item but you will always have the memory.
- The easiest way to start the clean out is eliminate anything faded pilled or that has holes or sweat stains.
- Organize your closet in sections meaning group all pants together sweaters etc. you would be surprised at how many people wonder why they can't get dressed in the morning when all their clothing is crammed in their closet with no organization.
- Monitor your items carefully if you have not worn it for a year it's likely you won't wear it again it is probably time to let it go.
- Lastly remember just because something is old doesn't mean that it needs to go. Many times a jacket or dress just needs a nip and a tuck. Do the cost analysis alterations vs a new one. Often spending $25 can rejuvenate a staple item.
If you need help with a Closet Clean please don't hesitate to give us a call at 778-318-3448.